Sardines/Tarle :12-15, small sized
coconut oil :3-4 tbspn
coconut shredded :2-3 tbspn
coriander seeds :2-3 tbspn
paprika powder :1 tbspn
turmeric :1/2 tspn
red chilli(mild) : 4-6
vate huli/ dry mango :4-5 flakes
- Soak vate huli/dry mango pieces and jumminakai/triphal/teppal in little warm water
- Wash the fish under running water
- Take coconut, red chilly, turmeric powder, paprika powder, coriander seeds in a blender. Blend into fine paste.
- (methi seeds can be avoided as its not added in the traditional recipe. I add just a few seeds as I like its flavour)
- lastly add the soaked huli/dry mango pieces and triphal, grind just coarsely.
- Take a pan , mix fish and the ground paste evenly , close the lid and cook it on medium flame.
- After the mixture comes to one boil( in abt 5-7 mins), sprinkle coconut oil all around the pan and continue to cook for 5 more mins, do not stir (as the fish will break) but shake the whole vessel, occasionally.
- Serves as a great side dish with curd rice or plain rice and garlic tambuli
- For the recipe of garlic tambuli click here
Cooking time: 10 mins