Ingredients for vadas:
urid daal : 1 big cup
cumin seeds : 1 tbspn
oil for deep frying
Ingredients for garnishing:
thick yoghurt : 2 cups
black salt : 1 tspn
roasted cumin powder : 1 tspn
red chilli powder :1 tspn
dates tamarind chutney: 3 tbspn or more
salt :to taste
- Wash n soak the urid daal in excess of water for 5 hours or overnight
- After 5-6 hrs, blend it to a paste with as little water as possible(about 1/4th cup). Its not possible to blend to a fine paste with little water so its fine if the paste is coarse or not very fine.
- Take out the batter in a bowl n whip the entire batter firmly with a spoon for about 5 mins in circular motion, than add in the cumin seeds
- Blend yoghurt in a blender along with 1 cup of water, salt, black salt and sugar. Take out in a bowl
- Meanwhile heat the oil in a frying pot. Drop 1 tspn of batter in oil n fry the vadas till golden on both sides. Take out the vadas in a paper towel.
- Then dip the required number of vadas in warm water for 5 mins.
- Squeeze out gently to remove the excess water and dip it in beaten yoghurt, Take care not to break the vadas.
- Garnish with roasted cumin powder,red chilli powder, dates tamarind chutney sev and coriander leaves
- Refrigerate or freeze the remaining vadas
- Whipping the batter is really important to make it soft n fluffy
- Thin beaten yoghurt is used rather than thick because the vadas can easily absorb thin yoghurt
- After dipping it in yoghurt the vadas tend to swell up about 1 n 1/2 times the original size
- Freeze the remaining vadas in a zip lock plastic bag for weeks or even months
- Just before having it , take it out from freezer and dip it in hot water for 15 mins, and follow the same procedure
Makes about 20-22 vadas