The preparation of daal in this recipe, is very different from the regular tadka daal because here we add the mixture of coconut , roadted black pepper, jeera and ginger which brings a really nice aroma of these key ingredients. Tempering in ghee with curry leaves and hing is a must. Daal Tove is usually a festival preparation, makes a great combo with Sambaragai(like veg stew) and Payasa.(like kheer)
Toor daal : 1 tea cup
Black pepper : 8-10
cumin seeds : 1 1/2 tspb
shredded coconut : 3-4 tbspn
turmeric powder : 1/2 tspn
ginger :3/4 inch
coriander leaves : few sprigs
green chillies : 2, medium spicy
- Pressure cook the toor daal with 3 cups of water for 3 whistles, keep aside
- Slightly roast jeera n black pepper till the aroma spreads.
- In a mixer jar grind together coconut, turmeric, roasted black pepper-jeera and ginger to a smooth paste.
- Pour the coconut paste into cooked daal, add some chopped coriander leaves, slit green chillies and salt
- bring the mixture to a boil. Let it boil thoroughly for 2-3 mins, turn off the gas
- prepare for the tempering in another deep vessel.
- for tempering: ghee, mustard, curry leaves, dry red chillies and pinch of hing
- Heat about 2-3 tbspn of ghee/clarified butter. add mustard seeds. wait till they pop up. Then add red chilly, curry leaves and pinch of hing.
- Now pour the cooked daal into it.
Recipe Source: My Grandma