Mackerel : 6 medium sized
shredded coconut : 1/2 coconut
dried red chilly : 15
coriander seeds : 2 tspn
mustard seeds : 1/2 tspn
methi/fenugreek seeds : 1/4 - 1/2 tspn (10 - 20 seeds)
turmeric powder : 1/2 tbspn
dry mango/kokam pieces : 5-6
small onion : 1 (1/2 + 1/2 finely chopped)
garlic pods : 2
ginger : 1 inch piece (1/4 + 3/4 inch)
coconut oil : 3 tbspn
- Wash the fish properly under running water, cut it, salt it n keep aside
- on a non stick pan , fry red chilly with little oil, take out in a plate
- on the same pan roast some coriander seeds, mustard seeds, methi seeds one after the other.
- soak kokam/ dry mango pieces in warm water
- in a mixer jar, take coconut, fried red chilly, coriander seeds, methi seeds, mustard seeds, turmeric , 1/2 onion, 2 garlic pods, 3/4 inch ginger and grind all to a smooth paste with little water.
- Lastly add soaked kokam/dry mango and grind. Keep the mixture aside
- Heat some coconut oil in a kadai, add finely chopped 1/2 onion and grated ginger (1/4th inch). Fry till onions turn translucent
- then pour the ground mixture. Put a lid on and heat it.
- when the masala just begins to boil, add in the fish pieces.
- check for salt
- Allow to boil fully and then turn off the gas in about 2-3 mins
- Tastes great with hot rice and fish fry