- chicken :600 gms
- mint/pudina leaves : 1 bunch
- coriander leaves : 1 handful
- ginger garlic paste/minced : 1 tbspn
- yogurt(curds) : 200 ml
- garlic : 4-5 cloves
- ginger : 1" long
- green chillies : 3
- red chilli powder : 1 tspn
- garam masala powder :1 tspn
- onions : 2 big(cut along the length)
- tomato :1 big(puree or chopped finely)
- lemon juice : 2-3 tbspn
- cloves 4
- bay leaf 1
- cinnamon stick 2"
- pepper corns 5-7
- coriander seeds 2 tbspn
- Wash the chicken pieces, drain water completely
- Prepare for marination: blend pudina leaves, coriander leaves, green chilly, ginger, garlic,yogurt(curds), 1 tspn salt, lemon juice and apply the paste on the chicken pieces and keep aside for 1 hour
- Slightly roast all the garam masalas in a pan: cloves, cinnamon, pepper, coriander seeds n bay leaf with little oil. Take out n cool it. In the same pan fry onions till brown with little oil. Cool it
- Now grind together fried onions and roasted garam masalas to make a paste
- Heat about 4 tbspn oil in kadai, add 1 tbspn ginger-garlic paste. saute and transfer the marinated chicken into the pan. close the lid and cook on medium for 15 mins with occasional stirring and till oil starts to separate from the gravy.
- after 15 mins, check if the chicken is cooked properly. Then pour the onion-garam masala paste, tomato puree, red chilli powder, 1 1/2 cup of water and cook for 10-12 more mins.
- lastly add garam masala powder, stir and continue to cook for further 5-7 mins. Gravy loses some water and thickenes by now
- check for salt, chilli and sourness, if required add some more lemon juice .turn off
- Serve hot with ghee rice, plane rice or jeera rice.
Cooking time- 45 mins