Basmati rice : 1 cup
mushrooms, sliced : around 10 medium sized
water to cook : 2 cups
lime juice : 2 tbspn
1/2 bell pepper chopped(red or yellow)
peas(fresh or frozen) :1 small cup
onion chopped :2 medium
red chill powder :1 tspn
garam masala :1/2 tspn
Whole garam masalas:
1tspn shahi jeera
1tspn shahi jeera
1 tspn jeera
1 bay leaf
2" cinnemon sticks
- Washed n soak the basmati rice for 30 mins
- Heat 2 cups of water in a bowl, once it comes to a boil, add salt lime juice, add sliced mushrooms, stir , put the lid on and turn off the gas. Allow the mushrooms to set inside the covered vessel for about 12-15 mins. meanwhile we can work on the rest of the process.
- Heat some oil in a non stick pan , add bay leaf, cinnamon , cloves, cardamom, shahi jeera, give a quick stir and immediately add onions, cook till translucent, add ginger n garlic cook for another 1-2 mins.
- Now strain the mushrooms and preserve the liquid which we can later us it to cook rice.
- Add the strained mushrooms into the pan and cook them till golden brown
- Now its time to add the soaked rice. drain out the water and add into the pan .Saute it quickly
- add garam masala powder n red chilli powder. Saute on medium flame for 2-3 mins.
- add the green peas and bell pepper.
- Now add the preserved water of mushroom into the pan (if this mushroom water is not 2 cup, then add some more water and make it up to 2 cups) . When it comes to a boil, cover the pan with a perfectly fitting lid and cook on simmer till 15 mins. Do not open the pan or stir in between .
- After exactly 15 mins , turn off the stove. gently fluff the pulao with a fork just to loosen the rice grains
- cover again n allow it to rest for some more mins.
- Serve hot with any raita
preparation time 20 mins
cooking time: 40 mins