Chicken Adobo is the name of the popular dish and cooking process in Philippine cuisine, in which the meat is marinated in soy sauce, garlic and vinegar, browned in oil and simmered in the marinade. The combined flavour of garlic, pepper and soy sauce bring forth a super delicious taste.
My Filipino friend often makes this dish when I visit her. I must say, she is an expert in preparing this dish and I am a great fan of Chicken Adobo.
Thanks to my Phillipino friend Arlyn Schwing for teaching me this delicious yet simple Filipino dish.
I too prepared it a couple of times. I simply love it :-):-)
Chicken wings: 12-14 (or 1 kg)
Olive oil : 2 tbspn
1 big onion : quartered and diced
4 garlic : minced
Soy sauce : 1/2 cup
Vinegar :1/2 cup( preferably white vinegar)
Water : 1 cup
Bay leaf :3
Pepper corns : 1 tspn
Pepper powder: 1/2 tspn
Green chillies :2
Sugar : 1 tspn
- Take olive oil in a sauce pan. When hot add the dices onions, green chillies and garlic.( if green chillies are too spicy, then reduce the quantity of pepper )
- Stir for a while till the onion softens and then add the Chicken wings. Stir the chicken in the oil for a while. cover and cook for 5 mins on medium heat.
- Then add soy sauce n vinegar. Let the chicken simmer there for 10 more mins. Add the bay leaves, pepper corns, pepper powder and sugar . Pour a cup of water . Cover and cook for about 20 mins with stirring occasionally.
- Uncover and simmer until sauce is reduced and thickened, and chicken is tender and gets a brown coating on it, about 10 more mins.
- DO NOT add salt as the soy sauce has sufficient of it.
- It is served with steamed rice
- The longer the chicken is cooked in the sauce, the more tastier it becomes
- Green chillies are not added in the traditional recipe
Cooking time : 40 mins